Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: Room size for Tympani IVa's

Congratulations on your purchase!

I have enjoyed my T-IVa for 5 years in a room very similar in size to your new one. My basement
space is 17 X 24 with a 9 foot ceiling. It opens out a bit near the back on one side but then you also
have 3 openings at the back of your room.

With that width you can keep all 3 panels in the same plane and avoid placing the Mid/tweeter panel ahead of the bass drivers. In my other house the narrower 14.5 foot width mandated that IMO less
desirable placement.

The answer to the tweeters in or tweeters out question is not cut and dried. With detached M/T
panels one has 4 choices and for fun you should try them all. My favourites were tweeters closest to the walls- about 15 inches away. i was surprised that there was no lack of centre-fill and i left them
extreme outside for a couple of years.

But I preferred tweeters in with all my other ribbon Maggies so I had to try that. Tweeters on the extreme inside with maximum spacing resulted in the bass panels being about 10 inches from the
walls. This produced a combination of wall to wall sound with the more detailed intimate mids and
highs one expects with tweeters in positioning. Just awesome!

As Grant suggests try and get them at least 5 feet out from the front wall. It looks like you can close
the doorway on the right side of your room which should improve imaging on that side.
Your windows will likely need some softening- at least get some fake ficus plants to prove you are
a die-hard Maggie fan!

Enjoy the journey with your T-IVa!

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Western Glow Tube Service  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Room size for Tympani IVa's - Desafinado 21:40:22 11/20/20 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.