Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: Reminds me of the Instant Karma Machine story

I live in a typical chicago 2-flat, on the second floor. The downstairs neighbors work during the day, whilst I am retired. Their dog has never complained about my afternoon listening sessions.

These older, well-built structures are fairly decent when it comes to noise between units, too. I can listen any time day or night at a "reasonable" level - loud enough to be enjoyable, like ~87 dB at my listening position, without bothering anyone downstairs. I think the plaster-on-lath ceiling of the unit below is quieter than modern drywall-on-joist ceilings.

In the past, I have lived in buildings that were converted from industrial spaces to housing.... 14 inch reinforced concrete floors, brick firestop walls... There was a jazz quartet that practiced next door, but it was over a year before I knew they were there. So there are LOTS of apartment-style living situations where one can enjoy hifi. Not everything is built crackerbox style.

Science doesn't care what you believe.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Amplified Parts  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Reminds me of the Instant Karma Machine story - triamp 15:30:06 10/11/20 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.