Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: Magnepan 1.7i to 3.7i

My 2 cents: IMO, you're asking the wrong question. If I were questioning my own concerns ...and to be crystal clear on this, I am not... it would be something along the lines of "why do I prefer the crisper, leaner sound to a fuller, richer musical experience?"

Again, to be absolutely clear on this point, based on testimonial reviews, there's nothing wrong with the 1.7i. While I've briefly auditioned 1.7i speakers prior to purchasing the 3.7i Maggies, I didn't spend enough time with the smaller Maggies to develop an opinion of their overall performance. However, I did spend enough time auditioning the 3.7i to prefer their sound by a pretty wide margin.

I can state with confidence that the 1.7 line conveys a good portion of what one expects from the Magnepan experience, but only a portion when compared with the capabilities of larger Maggies. That said, it comes down to one's musical tastes & preferences, and whether those preferences allow for taking the additional steps required to achieve even better performance (i. e., repositioning speakers and/or adjusting the listening environment through treatments or redesigning the room configuration, bass augmentation via one or more powered subwoofers, good after market stands, etc.).

The bottom line is this: If you are indeed satisfied with what you're currently hearing, then you're done. If not, changing the speakers is certainly a start, but probably not a stopping point.

Cheers,
AuPh

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  The Cable Cooker  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Magnepan 1.7i to 3.7i - Audiophilander 14:21:37 06/28/20 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.