Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: "extending the lower bass of the panels" ...

I think the key difference is in the Marchand XO vs. the maggie speaker level XO box. The XPA might have a better time driving the panel direct rather than dealing with the XO box's reactance.

My own experience was that the XO box is woolly sounding. All the amps I tried on the bass panels sounded much more extended and tight without the XO box. I also tried the bass panels as full range speakers out of curiosity. Even the Crown 5002 sounded woollier with the speaker level XO box. But it definitely sounded worlds ahead of the Bryston 4BNRB Classe DR9 whether in stereo or bridged mono and Nuforce 8b .

No problem believing that you get audible 20-30 hz content, particularly with some wall loading. Wall loading the T IV bass panels and bracing them brings out organ foot pedal fundamentals that are inaudible without wall loading and weak without bracing.

The Stereophile bass measurements are done at close proximity so don't show what it actually sounds like in the far field - where room modes also come in. My own 1m measurements show a resonance at 30'ish hz. But the particular frequency changes with the angle between the panels, appearing lowest when the panels are flat and face forwards. all this from memory as this was done over a decade ago and the PC used for it is long dead without a full backup.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Atma-Sphere Music Systems, Inc.  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.