Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: "Maggie woofers for the midbass, Acoustats for the mids, Maggie ribbons for the highs" :-)) ...

I think it was far and away the most spectacular performance of anything I've ever heard. By leaps and bounds. I've been to lots of great concerts by great pianists but this was like watching Superman. I can understand why people used to line up all night to get tickets.

The reason I scored them is that there was a scandal -- it was revealed that Carnegie Hall was giving blocks of tickets away to friends and connections rather than selling them to the general public. So Horowitz cancelled his scheduled Carnegie Hall concert and rescheduled at Avery Fischer Hall. It was on short notice and my brother got word of it before word got out and the lines formed.

I don't think anyone is ever going to get more bass/midbass levels out of electrostatics of a reasonable size because it's pretty much determined by the breakdown voltage of air, the only way around that is to use gas-filled bags and that creates problems of its own. Quad's folded woofer design does increase surface area and output, that's one possible way to go, but I imagine it would be very expensive for a large woofer. And the figure I've seen is that planar magnetic panels will give you 10 times the excursion of stats.

I was more curious about the SPL potential of the panels in the midrange, where excursions are much less and with a reasonable baffle size you don't have to compensate for 6 dB/octave dipole cancellation, which means that below Fequal Xmax has to increase as the cube as frequency decreases. I mean, everyone agrees that Tympani midbass is unequaled, and most people agrees that electrostatics are unsurpassed in the midrange where they play, and from what I've seen the two blend very well. So if you limited the stats to the midrange and got their level up . . .

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: "Maggie woofers for the midbass, Acoustats for the mids, Maggie ribbons for the highs" :-)) ... - josh358 16:51:08 03/17/12 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.