Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: "Maggie woofers for the midbass, Acoustats for the mids, Maggie ribbons for the highs" :-)) ...

Yes, you did mention your Hprowitz experience, obviously made a deep impression on you. I was a child when he retired so I only know him from recordings, of which I have some dozen from scarlati to liszt Rachmaninov and Chopin.

I don't think you can get any more than that level of mid power out of Acoustats, definitely not 115 db. I can't tell whether the issue was the near clipping of the Transnovas or the speaker, but I am inclined to think it was the speaker. Coming to think about it, that listening session at loud volume was the first time I noticed the kazoo noise from an ESL, and the only time it was a bother.

I think the Martin Logans have even less headroom than the Acoustats. The CLS with its big surface never managed to do midbass as well as I heard from the acoustat 2+2 with or without the sub.

So till someone does a better than Kingsound stat, then Acoustats (4 to 8 panel models) are pretty much all there is in ESLs that do good midbass and believable bass - but for the giant soundlabs.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.