Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: Bi-Wire Made a considerable improvement

You know, I haven't seen this mentioned much -- perhaps I'm the only one who's so clueless -- but half the time, when the sound changes, I don't know whether it's better or not! Imaging in particular I find problematic, because no matter what you do with two channel stereo, it's never right. Sometimes it's obvious that there's a problem, like when I listen with my speakers in front of the mantle and the sound bunches up. But often it seems to me that it's a choice between doing something wrong, and doing something different that's also wrong. And then there are all the variables. I *think* my Emotiva has very subtle grain in the highs, but is it really coming from the Emotiva? Because I'm using a different signal source.

How often are we really systematic? Even those guys on Hydrogen Audio are less systematic than they'd like to believe, I saw one thread in which they were condemning someone for claiming that he heard a difference between DAC's without ABXing them. So he asked if they had tried to ABX DAC's, and they said, no, there's no need, because you can't hear the difference between DAC's!

Critics do this too, they'll try a speaker with six different amps until they find one that they like, and then you're left wondering whether they're reviewing the speaker or the amp.

The best I can say is that over time, I've just discovered things that happen to work, sometimes by trial and error, sometimes by reading about them. Out of the tangle, threads start to emerge. In some cases it's been thirty years from the time I discovered something empirically and the time I learned why it worked.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.