Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: Lovin my MMG's, except.....

HI Tin,

Some good stuff in this thread.

A couple things jump to mind outside the room treatment issues. The room I think is probably the main culprit but good luck trouble shooting that online. You might want to invest in Jim Smiths book if you havent already (getbettersound.com)

--in case you missed it does your diy sub have a phase option? Have you played with that? Or tried reversing the cable connections on BOTH mags? There seems to be some mid bass thing going on and you mention IIRC that the sub integration could be better. Often a missmatch of phase between the subs and mains could be the culprit. If you diyed a sub you probably know that but just in case I thought I would mention it.

Just for kicks, can you try (if you havent) turning your subs so they aim to the left and right and not directly at you?

--are the mags right on top of the subs like it looks in the picts? If so, try something between the sub and the mags to decouple the mags from the subs. This could cause a smearing that might be what you are hearing. I would get 12 or or more of these:

http://www.globalindustrial.com/p/fasteners/vibration-isolators/pads/neoprene-cord-pad-2-x-2-x-1

set you back around 30$ but even if they dont help here (which I think is unlikely) you can find a bunch of audio uses for them

--what happens to the bass if you listen about 3-4 ft away from the speaker rather than the 8ft you do now?

--if you do end up modding these, do the razor mod since this will help with that "snap" you are missing.

And while you are at it, try the choke tweak on the bass panel too. That can help alot with the bass if you have local RF sources and who doesnt these days. For instance, cable boxes, microwave ovens, cordless phones, garage door openers, computers, cell phone charges, all can be sources of rf.

*** Fringe suggestions that will question your resolve or my credibility or both :) Try with caution.

Try wiring both your sub and mags with magwire from radioshack. Take 2 of the green wires and twist with a drill adding some teflon tape before you twist. This will give you wire that has teflon around it if you are careful, and about a 23g run. use this twist of 2 wires for ONE conductor. So one run for the + and one run for the -. Cheap and easy. This will change the bass sound and you wont like it at first. What we are looking for here in this EXPERIMENT is to get the sub and speakers balanced. If you need some rationale it goes like this : The mags have hundreds of feet of 28g wire in them. Thin wire smears the bass less than the thick wire that we often use to connect or are builtin to most speakers. Hooking up both the sub and mags with thin wire will get a better balance (hey the thin wire also sounds awesome on the mids and highs too and is highly recommended)

If you do this, give it a week to register. The sound will be super clean and that can take some time to get used to, and just using the magwire like speaker wire is pretty impractical. This is just a test and if it helps then we can work on a formal recipe for the long term.

Oh, and in case you are wondering, I rewired my velodyne sub with 24g wire like I am proposing (actually it was 2 twists of 30g (4 wires for each + and each -) with no issues. Though I am not 100% on your setup or listening level so start with low volumes, and monitor the heat of the wire. I never have had ANY issues and many inmates with vastly different mags and systems havent had any issues and I am just being cautious, overly cautious, since as a drummer your listening levels are probably much higher than mine.

Cut to razor sounding violins

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Lovin my MMG's, except..... - Dawnrazor 04:09:29 02/19/12 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.