Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: Lovin my MMG's, except.....

I wrote that before you replied to my original post correcting what you meant and where you yourself admitted it appeared you were using a shotgun approach. As I said, I only had your words to go by, I wasn't there, and a rapid shotgun approach that leads to confusion and premature conclusions is the norm, not the exception with people new to things.

If you knew me you'd know I have repeatedly said I was as stupid as anyone when I started. (almost a poster boy) Unfortunately it's practically a requirement when starting any new pastime. However, as I said your post very much mirrors the kind of things done and said by people teetering on the rails, I only pointed that out, I was not belittling you for it.

The comments about the room were meant in general for everyone, because a lot of people that should know better still seem to think they can get away with murder with their room, and they always blame room issues on anything but that. I don't know if it's because they don't know how to go about fixing it or they are just lazy, but far too many people do very little about the room the system goes in.

In fact when people post system pics the first thing I look at is the room, never the gear, and more often than not I'm shocked at what they consider to be acceptable... or even think it's good. If more time was spent here there'd be a lot more happy audiophiles. That is my only point.

Please note nothing I said was an attack against you, it only seemed like your method was ill considered so I noted it. I am not mad at you, trying to fight with you, or blackballing you. You pointed out the post was worded less than optimally. That's fine.

The only real fact at hand is that turning the speakers resulted in midrange droput which means you have a room issue. The speakers seemingly suddenly brighter or shill means you're fixing that issue, because stock I feel they are shrill. What I said before about resolving your entire dilemma still goes.

Wait... I decided I better read your other post... - Oh, and you suggested ceiling corner treatments...floor to ceiling superchunk broadband corner absorbers were the first acoustic treatments I did to my room.

That may account for why the room is too absorbing and why the midrange vanished. OK, my last bit of advice: Do not do anything before you know you need it.

I constantly see people adding RFI chokes, line filters, room absorbers etc.. before they even listen to the system. I ask them why and they say "Because everyone else does it." The fact is things like that can help IF you have the problem, however if you do not they often CAUSE a problem. Perfect audio is about minimalism - No more than we need, and no less than we need. You should not have treated the room before listening to it, and for a good month or more as well. You need to give your brain time to form enough files to make sound comparative judgements, and for countless reasons many sessions are needed.

Good luck with it. I am going to be very busy this week and likely won't be back here, so email me if you wish to discuss anything further.

It's all about the music...

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Western Glow Tube Service  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Lovin my MMG's, except..... - Peter Gunn 20:44:18 02/18/12 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.