Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: Lovin my MMG's, except.....

"This guy and his post and actions are a microcosm of what goes on with many people when they come to this past time. Enthusiastic but without experience they are all over the map in their rush for instant gratification, trying and doing so many things without the understanding of why changes are happenening, and doing so many things at once it's impossible to know which change even had the effect. Despite that they still jump to premature conclusions that are usually wrong (as he did) and the worst part is it appeared he was already ready to write that incorrect assumption down as gospel. That's why I responded."

Ok...wait a second. I have clearly touched a nerve here...and certainly unwittingly so. Again, with all due respect Mr. Gunn (and I mean that with total sincerity) I have to take issue with your comments. I'll preface by saying I am absolutely, positively, in no way here to make waves or attempt to dispute the knowledge that you and many others here have commited much time and effort to acquiring. You said earlier you weren't looking for an argument. I don't know if that was directed at me (seems I've been relegated to third person status which makes it tricky at times to discern where your comments are being directed) or another inmate with which you may have had a prior debate.....no matter. Point is I don't want an agrument either. I want to solve my problem. And I don't see anywhere I have made absolute statements about my findings that prop them up as gospel. I shared my observations in an attempt to provide information so that others may take that information and use it to offer me recommendations or correct me when I'm mistaken. That's it. Nothing more. If I'm the two-hundred-and-thirty-second person to ask the same tired questions then please accept my apology if I've wasted anybody's time. I'm no virgin to discussion forums and every time I hear someone complain of this I can't help but think of the comment "if you don't like what's on the station, change the channel". I appreciate the input...but dammit please don't allow me to be an imposition. That's the LAST thing I want to be to anybody.
And about being enthusiastic and inexperienced....Christ man, we all have to start somewhere. Remember, you did to. And damn straight I might be all over the map for a period of time as I explore and experiment with this stuff. I'm on a quest for knowledge through my own hands on trial and error combined with the knowledge others are willing to share. I'll get there eventually, so cut us newbies some slack. And instant gratification? You know, I don't think I'm even gonna' go there.
Hell, if I have a good year at the shop I may be a future customer of yours. But I'm not going to want to do business with someone that's jaded and bitter. You may not give a rat's ass that I feel that way ...but there it is just the same. I still love this stuff... regardless of whether I upset one of the last people in this communty I would want to upset or not.

"Understanding that the room you use is one of the single biggest factors in determining how your system sounds has always been the hardest nut to drive home. People think they can just plunk the system down anywhere and it should work, and that simply isn't how it is at all. In fact the better the gear the more finnicky it will usually be about the room it is in, and in contrast rooms that are wonderful sounding can make rather ordiniary stuff sound simply magical."

Again, not sure if this is directed at me but, regardless....AMEN, BROTHER! You're preaching to your choir here. I'm a hardcore proponent of getting the room right before anything else and my room demostrates that. It's been measured with a nice flat response and good decay and I've done that with fundamental and slightly advanced treatments. I'm not bragging....just making sure it's understood I'm fully aware of the importance of having a room with a good response and have made that paramount in my listening environment. I knew I had problems when I acquired a set of Vandersteen 2ci's and they sounded like crap. But I put the time and effort into my room's acoustics and got the Vandersteens to singing through room treatments and nothing else. From that point on I've been a room treatment junkie. But as I said before, my room was treated for monopolar designs and I'm slowly figuring out what to do in MY ROOM to make it more accomodating and responsive to a dipolar design.

I may have very well blackballed myself here and if that's the case then so be it. Not my intention but sometimes you step in a pile of shit even when you're watching where you're going.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.