Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: Active Crossover Question for Maggie IIIas

Biamping is not as simple as plugging two amps into some crossover unit. I have always biamped my Maggies going back to 1980 and have learned a lot in the process. Besides close attention to the gain of the amps, it is important to get the correct crossover point and filter order and slope. Most commercial units such as Art, Rane or Behringer are designed for music bands (pro) not home systems and don't give you the flexibility that you need. IMO the active XO should simulate the OEM passive crossover. After all, Magnepan (as do most speaker manufacturers) spends considerable time getting their XO's right before going to the expense of bringing out a new speaker. As AndyR says you need either to buy a Marchand XM-44 and specify the exact crossover parameters that you want or go DIY. Both will work but DIY is about 1/10th the cost. I should add other choices are a DSP unit or a computer set up, neither of which I have any experience.

BTW if you are interested in going DIY or with the Marchand XM-44, I can give you the component values to simulate the OEM XO. I currently have my IIIa's biamped with the Marchand.

"Our head is round in order to allow our thoughts to change direction." Francis Picabia

Edits: 02/10/12 02/10/12

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.