Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

Yep, not the best wording on my part.

Sorry for the confusion too. When I said "woofers" it was plural but I should of said, "Two of the woofers in a stereo arrangement". And when I said you "WILL NEED to get one "woofer" for every 2 baby maggies you get" well, that is still true but not OPTIMUM like the demo they set up. You COULD plunk just one of the woofers in the corner (it has two channels of woofer in each one) and both sats will run off of it filtered at 300Hz, HOWEVER, as you correctly point out that would not be a good thing @ 300Hz. Ideally, you need two of those woofers.

Keep in mind though, the "woofers" are totally PASSIVE. There is no amp inside them. So "fine-tuning" will be somewhat limited there. Plus you are running a lot more wires around the room, especially in a HT environment---you are spot on there. For a 7.1 rig, you would need to buy 4 of the "woofers" so that each channel of mini-maggie has something to work off of. Then, for the HT crowd, what do you do below 40Hz where the woofers roll off? If you're not a bass-head, I guess thats OK, but for movies a bit deeper would be nice as "IMPACT" is more in need for movies IMHO. Perhaps get a dynamic sub is an answer and cross it as low as it can go at a high filter rate like 24/dB octave and run that as your .1

I am actually shocked to see the summer mentioned as a release date. That was NOT the vibe I was getting in the demos from Wendell. He said they more or less threw these things together and packed them in their luggage to see what the masses thought! Listening "between the lines" to him, I was thinking they would debut for sale at CES 2010! He told us the woofers are available for sale right now, at least thats what I thought he said.....

Regards,
Joel

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Yep, not the best wording on my part. - joeljoel1947 11:07:41 01/13/09 (1)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.