Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

Re: Software Issues - ramblings

bsod is bad. from my experience it is usually hardware. are you running software version 2.01 and firmware 58_11? those are the latest "release" versions. there are more recent "beta" version that fix specific issues that some folks are having. i never really noticed any if you are following the wizard (measure>correct>configure). if you're getting different readings from right and left speakers the room is probably to blame. you can try moving them to the center of the room or the furthest point from a room boundary. i just treated the crap out of the front wall to clean up the impulse response. i can't recall whether they let you see the impulse response of right and left separately, but it's very important that it's clean ie no early reflections. when taking measurements i use a yard stick to place the mic. with one end touching the wood between midrange and tweeter and the other end pointed right at the listening position touching the business end of the mic. i figure this should phase the drivers the best. for the final tweak i check phase with etf5 from the listening position and adjust toe in slightly if phase wanders a little. if phase decreases as frequency increases move tweeter closer to listening position.
i really like etf5 for tuning the bass and placing the subs. the low frequency spectral decay view lets you look at not only amplitude but more importantly time. flat response is good but bad decay is ruins everything. i found the lower i can play the maggies the better. i currently highpass to the mains at 45hz and lowpass to subs at 40hz 24db linkwitz-riley . i spent considerable time on the parametric eq to fix low frequency problems. if this ends up being the case for you, make sure you save the eq settings to your project on the hard drive, then back it up. if you save your project it remembers the eq settings, but if you open the project later, change the eq, then close it without saving, the changes are only on the pdc2.6. just something to remember.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Herbie's Audio Lab  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.