Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

Software Issues - ramblings

Hi Bart,

I am running on a 2006 Dell Precision Mobile Workstation M90. It is configured with XP Pro (1st problem =), 4GB memory, 2.16GHz dual-core Centrino, USB2, Gigabit ethernet, 802.11 A/B/G WiFi, 1920x1200x32bit color 17" display and 7200RPM 8MB cache hard drive. It is a pretty capable laptop (until the quad cores hit the mobile market). I live on this laptop running XP Pro and various flavors of Linux (Fedora Core). The only other times I have gotten blue screens was using an M-Audio external USB2 sound card.

I get quite a few crashes, exceptions, etc. running the DEQX softare that want to kick me into Microsoft's developer studio debugger. I haven't been able to run for long without it crashing on me or throwing an exception. At least once per sitting. Maybe they should run it trough Purify to clean up some of the exceptions. I don't get this type of behavior with MS Office or my development software I use on a daily basis.

So I am learning more about the software with repetition. I have been re-reading the manuals, re-taking mesurements and comparing them to past measurements. I catch errors that I make and move onto the next generation. I tried a triamp configuration, but it would not let me put in a crossover point lower than 100Hz. I guess I have to stick with the bi-amp + sub, unless I throw the Bryston 10 back in the mix like what you did.

I tried the subs in the corners of the room (which implies adding timing delays into the mix). I then tried the subs next to the Maggies to eliminate the time delay settings and treat Maggiis and the subs as a pair of quad-way speakers. I think I am going to keep it this way. Should make for better balancing through the whole room and not just the sweet spot.

I need to check out the etf5. Always good to get a 2nd non-biased set of readings to confirm your setup and the other software. I see some reading deltas between my left and right speakers that are most likely caused by a-symetric room decor and furniture. I am taking more readings and doing the process of elimination to eliminate nasties from the readings.

I just got my digital ICE Power amp back to drive the subs today. The measurements are coming out better than what I was using before to drive the subs. A friend has a pair of Maggie 20's that he wanted to test the ICE POWER amps on and had it for the last month so I was using an old receiver's amp section to drive the subs.

I noticed that I have to turn up my pre-amp a lot more with having the DEQX inline. I must be reserving some of the gain to allow individual gain boosts/cuts on each one of the outputs.

Just found the "Solo" buttons this evening. I nice feature to isolate solo channels/bands without having to move from your listening position.

Thanks for your help.

Sincerely,
Tim

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.