Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

Some of the best sound I've ever heard

came from the Soundlab U2 (panel size similar to M3) in a small room very similar to your yours and driven by a pair of Atma-sphere MA-1 amplifiers. They just sounded gorgeous. The same speakers are now located in a large room (same owner) and driven by the larger model MA-2 amplifiers. While some things are definitely better, the basic tonality and "realistic" voice of these speakers has not changed much, if at all. With the exception of some bass boost in the small room, everything else sounds virtually the same.

Another thing in Soundlab's favor is their performance at low volumes. They retain their full'ish and detailed sound.

I have owned the Magnepan 1.6 and, the 3.6. Both these speakers sound very good also but, frankly I find them a bit more critical to get set up for their best than the Soundlabs. They also don't fill out well until the delivered power goes up. They like their power. Since I listen to lower levels most of the time, I preferred the Soundlabs. But that doesn't take anything away from the Maggies. Both the 1.6 and the 3.6 are great speakers and can deliver a rich soundfield that is addictive.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Amplified Parts  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Some of the best sound I've ever heard - rnhood 10:46:03 11/11/06 (0)

You can not post to an archived thread.