Home Whiner's Woad

Whining, swan dives and other inappropiate topics get moved here.

Do magazines sell snake oil? How about a NOT RECOMMENDED COMPONENTS LIST?

Let's be reasonable.

Assume at the beginning that every component is worthy of audition.

A magazine or an individual can only "evaluate" some small percentage of all available components.

When we publish a RECOMMENDED COMPONENTS LIST what information does that convey? I submit it conveys absolute NO information.

Now a NOT RECOMMENDED COMPONENTS LIST gives us real information.

These are components that someone has evaluated and determined to be not worthy of audition. This is significantly more useful to an end user than a recommended components list which just says some set of components is worthy of audition. How does this distinquish these recommended components from all non reviewed components? It doesn't it just means these are components one should consider - big deal any list of available products does exactly the same thing.

If the recommended components list issues are a magazines biggest selling issues what does that tell us about the people who are reading the magazine, ie. audiophiles and/or people who are interested in buying audio equipment?

It tells me that audiophiles in general crave snake oil and that the magazines are willing to deliver it in spades in make more money. Ie - to sell more magazines as well as a value added benefit for the
manufacturers who play ball (ie. use the magazine as a marketing vehicle).

For years the audio press has been skillfully blurring the lines between being an audiophile resource and a marketing vehicle for industry insiders.

Give me rhythm or give me death!

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Atma-Sphere Music Systems, Inc.  

Topic - Do magazines sell snake oil? How about a NOT RECOMMENDED COMPONENTS LIST? - Don T 09:59:56 02/24/08 (31)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.