Home Welborne Labs

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share you ideas and experiences.

Impressions of Alan Kimmel's choke loaded mu stage mod.

I finally got around to installing Alan Kimmel's choke loaded mu stage mod on my way modded Ultimate Laurels. I finished one amp and just couldn't wait, and decided to plug it in with the other monoblock un-modded. I noticed that the sound stage had changed with the center being shifted about 1/2 way towards the left channel (where the modded amp was), and that there seemed to be a kind of bloom from the music that was coming out of the left channel. That was promising, so couldn't wait to hear both channels with the change. At first I noticed that the sound stage was different, hard to put a finger on it, but different. There also seemed to be a better separation of instruments, but the highs and lows were rolled off. I knew that it wasn't fair to make any judgments until it had a chance to break in, so put a 15 ohm 25 watt resistor across the amps binding posts, and put the player on repeat. After about 25 hours gave it another listen, definite improvement of instrument separation, and the bass was starting to come in. Another 24 hours, and the bass was really kicking in, very smooth, highs a little better. After 80 hours, where I'm at now, really nice. The sound stage is bigger and more focused, the bass is huge and tight (I use my amps full range). The amps sound more relaxed and better controlled, and in a word more "musical". The highs never did get back to the hyper-detail I had before. I don't know if that comparison of the lost detail in the highs would go for a more stock amp, as I replaced tantalum resistors and an exotica teflon cap with the choke. The amps are also more dynamic, and I noticed I can get another 3db out of the amps when playing Peter Gabriel's "Up" CD before the bass distorts. All in all really pleased with the mod, it really sounds amazing, much more relaxing to listen to, but still very detailed. As a matter of fact, I find that through most of the range (excluding extreme highs) there is more detail. I find myself saying the old cliché "I'm hearing things in my recordings I've never heard before". I'll trade the loss of detail in the highs any day for the other benefits. Not real sure that the apparent loss in highs is a bad thing, as many felt that the system was too detailed in the extreme highs as it was. Thanks to Alan Kimmel for coming up with this and thanks to Ben for telling me about it. Now I'll finally set back and enjoy the music, as for once I'm not contemplating my next mod (on the amps at least)!;>)

twystd

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Topic - Impressions of Alan Kimmel's choke loaded mu stage mod. - twystd 11:23:11 12/31/03 (8)

You can not post to an archived thread.