Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

Try the GE Superradio instead?

Near impossible to find a "hi-fi" component with a decent FM tuner section these days, much less a passable AM tuner. So I'll suggest a different approach.

I've had good luck with the General Electric "Superadio III". This is a portable AM/FM radio (also works directly off 115vac) that has an truly outstanding AM capability. Of course the FM section is mono, so you'll probably want to keep your Fisher tuner for FM.

The GE radio's headphone audio output can be fed into your normal stereo rig. (Played through its internal speakers it sounds pretty good too.) This radio has switchable AM selectivity to allow maximum fidelity from local AM stations, and has both internal antennas and terminals for connecting external AM and FM antennas.

The GE is big, black, bulky, and has an old-fashioned slide rule dial and rotary tuning knob: no memory presets but it's a damn good radio. Typically discounted for under $50. RadioShack sells a lookalike clone, but I haven't tried it.

Good luck.

Charlie

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  McShane Design  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.