Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

Re: 12 gauge solid vs stranded

Skin effect is also a possibility. But it would only affect the upper mids and highs, say from 5 kHz on up. So, can you describe the difference you heard? That would help to pin down what's going on.

There's no magic. If you heard a noticeable and repatable difference you're looking at a frequncy response difference of 0.5 dB or better, so the effect should be quantifiable. You mentioned imaging effects, and often that's the result of better left-right symmetry. If you had equal length cables, that implies to me that the stranded might have had a poor connection in one channel. Have you tried going back to the stranded again, to see if the effect is repeatable. I also find it important to get others, who don't know what you're doing, to listen and see if they hear a difference.

I used to use my oldest daughter when she was living at home, as she had great ears. Often, I'd be sure I was on to something, so I'd get her to listen without telling her what the change was. Many times she'd tell me she didn't hear any difference. And then, suddenly, I could no longer hear a difference. I can attest that the Placebo Effect works. I'm an engineer and a long time lab person. I consider myself a trained observer of things technical. But in audio, I have to double and triple check everything. It's best if I can follow up a perceived difference with a measurement that confirms there was a difference.

Jerry

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Analog Engineering Associates  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.