Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

Re: Need a little tuner advice my friends

I just recently went through a flock of less expensive tuners, both new and used. I ended up with a used Onkyo T-4087. 1989-90 vintage, 5 gang equivalent, excellent selectivity, very nice sound. It has Onkyo's 4 mode APR system where the tuner automatically selects from high and low sensitivity and selectivity and high blend to get the best recetion for each station. My problem here was mainly multipath problems because of a huge water tower 180 degrees away from my favorite station. The 4087 fixed that problem beautifully. But it also has excellent selectvity and sensitivity and does DX very well. I found several regional stations I never knew were there, tucked in close to stronger ones. The sound quality made my late model Yamaha tuner sound like a telephone.

The tunerinfo web site hasn't tested the 4087, but they have nice things to say about it. The pricing on eBay should be close to your budget. If you buy from a shop as I did, you'll pay more; but with generally better peace of mind, that's worth something.

Jerry

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Analog Engineering Associates  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Re: Need a little tuner advice my friends - Bold Eagle 11:26:38 12/31/03 (0)

You can not post to an archived thread.