Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

Re: This is what I advise

Isn't the cable forum fun? You think it's bad check out the propeller heads!

Anyhow, for the best bang for the buck in cords try a search over on cables for "Volex". They make replacement cord sets that electronic house's like Newark sell. They use a Belden cable that's about as good as you can get for the money. While you can buy the Belden cable and make your own with a hospital grade plug and have something even better for the price of the Volex it's a quick and easy no-brainer solution. Next step down in price is a generic 14/3 SJ cord with a plug of your choice....and yes it does make a difference.

But, IMHO, the thing you really want to do is run balanced power. Do a goggle search on it as well as here on the asylum. It makes a big difference. You need not pay crazy money for a special transformer. A 480/240 by 240/120 single phase 5KVA transformer can be made to work (wire primary for 480 by feed it 240 and wire secondary in series and ground center tap/series connection and you will have two legs of 60 volts 180 degrees out of phase). If you buy salvage/used/ebay you can get one cheap. Try local electrical contractors and look for an old one they removed...case of Bud oughta do it:)

In addition I strongly advise individual small isolation transformers for digital equipment such as CD players, DAC's, DVD's, TV's...etc....anything you have connected to your stereo system.

I would put my money into the transformers before I bothered with the cords, especially since all of your stuff is two wire anyhow and you might get into hum problems with 3 wire cords. However I do think it is best to use a grounded cord even on vintage gear.

DON'T use a commerical power strip surge suppressor! They are bad for sound(same for UPS's)! Instead head on over to Jon Risch's web site and read up on how to build yourself a good surge suppressor/filter. Best to put it in front of the balanced transformer. All analog gear gets plugged into balanced power transformer and the digital gear has a small isoltion transformer between it and the balanced power transformer.

Now I do know that this is more than you wanted to hear and might not care to bother with it. If you only are interested in a way to plug all your cords in then you have three easy choices.

One, look for an older power strip (try thrift stores) that used regular duplex receptacles. Take it about and gut it and buy new hospital grade receptacles and install them along with a new 12/3 cord and hospital grade plug. Do change the wall receptacle too to a hospital grade.

Two, head on down to home depot or an electrical supply house and buy a four square box and a cover plate for it that holds two duplex receptacles and make your own. Again use hospital grade receptacles and a 12/3 cord.

Three, buy a hospital grade "4-Plex receptacle". This is truly the fast and easy way to go. Be sure to get the "portable box" that goes with it! You can take a look at WWW.Grainger.com stock#'s 6C567 (you want a 6C561 but the picture is wrong 6C567 is the same thing just in 20 amp which you can use but don't need as 15 amp is fine) and 6C590. Also see stock# 1A948 for the type of power strip that uses standard duplex receptacles. Stock#'s 5A050 & 1XC31 for the 4 square box and cover plate. Stock# 5A078 for receptacles and 5A076 for plug. Not that I would buy the stuff from Grainger but just so you can see what I am talking about.

Hope this helps...sorry if it's more than you wanted to hear:)

Russ

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.