Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

Vintage audio power supply

Recently you guys helped me retain a sense of balance when considering vintage gear vs. modern high-hype replacements. I come to you again for advice.
In the process of going over the components in my system, (CD input, VPI TNT vinyl input, step up transformer for the MC cartridge, Marantz Model 7 pre-amp, Marantz model 9 amps to Klipsch Kornerhorns) I have determined to finally clean up that rats nest of wires and cables behind the open system-support cabinet. In particular, I have all the power cords plugged into the outlets provided in the pre-amp. Once those slots filled up, the remaining requirements were satisfied through the expedient of a tangle of lamp-type extension cords. Enough is enough. I am determined to clean that up as the very first NEW YEAR resolution.
SO, I went over to the cable forum to see what other fellows are using in the modern world for this question. I was blown away completely, and never should have ventured there. They are paying $3000.00 and up for a six foot length of power cord! I am not kidding! And most are suggesting that every component in the system needs such a cord, to connect it to a $5,000-and-up “power conditioner”.
All I wanted to do was clean up the rats-nest of cables and cords - but here I am again….confused and seriously “behind the times”. So much so, that I have retreated here, without even as much as a peep around those cable guys.
My intuition is that I need none of that sophistication in the power supply, nor would gain from it on my vintage equipment. So I took a look at McMaster Carr (where I feel more comfortable than in, say, another super-dooper audio hype-end site) and see that a surge protected power strip, with eight receptacles (four on each side – and separated to provide sufficient space the occasional transformer) and an on-off switch, and can be ordered for $120.00. That is more what I had in mind, and it has a generous 10 foot cord. BUT, before I commit an unforgivable sacrilege, and find myself drummed-out and forever banned from the Audio Asylum, I shall delay ordering this power-strip until I have the benefit of some expert advice.
As always, I sincerely appreciate the time you spend in considering my questions and directing my efforts.
James

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Topic - Vintage audio power supply - JWPATE 08:33:47 12/31/03 (18)

You can not post to an archived thread.