Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

Help with Pioneer SX-550

Hey,

I have a problem with my old Pioneer SX-550, and I'm hoping that one of you wise sages on this board knows how I can fix it (sorry if this type of thing isn't within the realm of what you guys talk about on this board).

Anyways, the problem is that one of my channels (right) cuts off frequently, and only really works if I pump a lot of juice (ie relatively high volumes) through it for a while. And even then, it cuts out every now and then. It's not as bad when I run the receiver mono, but it still sometimes cuts off then. I know it's not the speaker wire, because I've switched the two channels and the same problem happens with whichever speaker is plugged into the right one.

Is there any kind of relatively easy fix I can do myself to get the channel to work better? I've used a soldering iron before, but I don't know if I'm comfortable enough to risk using one to fix anything like this. How much do you think it would cost to repair at a stereo shop? Thanks for any advice you can give, and sorry again if this post is too off-topic.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Topic - Help with Pioneer SX-550 - The Wagon 16:04:56 12/29/03 (4)

You can not post to an archived thread.