Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

Blown Electrolytic Story

In the '50s, when I was just a pup, I mixed some recordings at the Cimarron Ballroom in Tulsa. The main PA was fed by two early McIntosh amps - 50 watts each I think - the ones that were transformer coupled interstage. (That's an interesting McIntosh story in itself.) Many today probably have never seen those very early ones. They are shown in Allied catalogs of the era.

Anyhow, one day I was startled to see that one of the McIntoshes was gone, replaced by a Bogen or some other amp of lower pedigree. I asked the bandleader who was also the owner and he explained that one of the transformers had blown up on one of the Macs; the evidence could be seen sprayed and dried against the inside of the rack door. The engineer who maintained the place had replaced it with another amp.

Then I informed the owner that the residue on the inside of the door was electrolytic capacitor paste, not transformer tar. And that transformers don't 'blow up' in any event, at least not the size and type used in audio amplifiers.

Well, that changed things just a bit. The next time I went to the booth, there was the mising McIntosh amplifer, looking fit, on the floor. I re-installed it and became the maint. eng. as well as the mixer.

It is easy to blow an electrolytic deliberately - just connect it across the power line. The ripple current will be tremendous, will quickly over-heat the cap and thar she blows in just a minute or two.
But very dangerous - don't try this at home.

Pat Tobin

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Blown Electrolytic Story - AudCon 14:26:06 12/29/03 (0)

You can not post to an archived thread.