Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

A friend just shorted my Sherwood S-5000!

Hi,
today a friend came to my home while I was taking some voltage measures in my Sherwood S-5000. We were talking about the hot bias it had (-13 instead of -20) and about a resistor I had to replace maybe together with the selenium rectifier. When I was in another room, he took my digital meter, turned it into the ampere position and tried to "measure" the Amperes that were coming out from the selenium rectifier, but he did this in the wrong way, by using the meter as it was a voltmeter, with a plug into chassis (ground) and the other on the + of the rectifier. Some little sparkles came from the point where the plug touched the rectifier, with some pops. In the meantime I returned and immediately stopped him, but the damage was done. Now the amp has a big hum, and the music from a CD player is low. I tried to measure some voltage but now everything is messed up. The output tubes have 240V plate instead of the 380 that they had yesterday, the bias is non-existing (+3V istead of -13), and I turned all off to avoid other damages. I checked the 12ax7 tubes (that are feeded by the rectifier current) with my tube tester and they seem still all fine.
Now I have to find a technician here that can take a look at it (but in my area there are no good techs that I am aware of).
I think that at least one big capacitor (C3 that was connected to the selenium rectifier) is surely gone to create such a hum, but I don't know if there is some more possible damage (other filter caps?the secondary of the power transformer?). Can a failing filter capacitor explain all that mess?
Any advice? I can email a rather good schematics including the power supply stage if someone is interested. That C3 capacitor is: 150 - 250 - 50uf at 50V
Thanks
Raul

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Topic - A friend just shorted my Sherwood S-5000! - Raver 11:48:39 12/29/03 (21)

You can not post to an archived thread.