Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

Re: if an amp is quiet are the electrolytics in fine shape?

Speaking specifically of power supply 'lytics, I am of the opinion that they should be replaced as a matter of maintenance and safety. Since they are not in the audio signal path, they will not affect the quietness of the amp - tube amps in particurlar. By quietness, I mean the amount of hiss/noise from the amp when its hooked up to a set of speakers. For the safety and operational reasons, this is a prudent thing, IMHO.

Other 'lytics can be found in the audio signal path, however, unless there is a large voltage across their terminals during operation, in which case, I would consider them part of the maintenance of the amp.

Generally, audio chain caps are not the first place to look for noise from the amp - tubes,transistors, IC/chips are the first especially in older gear.

To say again: Replacing large power supply 'lytics is a good idea for safety reasons alone. But there is no hard-and-fast rule on this as you can see from the multitude of posts on the subject here at the AA.

Hope that helps.

Cheers,

David

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Re: if an amp is quiet are the electrolytics in fine shape? - doodlebug 08:31:28 12/29/03 (0)

You can not post to an archived thread.