Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

They're all good...

I wouldn't get hung up on any one particular model if I were you, as they all were good units.

What you should concentrate on instead is what kind of features/controls you'll want, how many/what type of inputs, and the power output are you going to need, etc.

Remember, Marantz in those days rated their amps very conservatively, so there's no reason to pay for more than you'll need. I own a nice 2250B (rated 50 w.p.c.), and I guarantee that it's putting out closer to 100 watts than 50 a side RMS when pushed (+3dB headroom easily, probably more like +5dB or +6dB). And I don't mean 100W peak, but 100W continuous RMS.

Example: driving my Quad 21L speakers, rated 6 ohms/88dB 1W 1M/35Hz-24kHz/and 200WPC RMS max amp power, this "little" 2250B was bottom those excellent Quad kevlar woofers with no problem! Not distorting or clipping, but I mean the voice coils would hit their stops on some heavy bass transients with a loud "pop"! High current, mon! So, was I getting somewhere around +6dB more than this sucker is rated for? I'd have to say "yup"!

Look around for a 2250/50B or lower, unless you need very high power output for a large room or inefficient speakers.

-LP

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Crux Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • They're all good... - LowPhreak 18:24:23 12/27/03 (0)

You can not post to an archived thread.