Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

Reforming caps

Quick couple of questions on reforming caps in old equipment. First off, this relates to old equip in general, but specifically I'm working right now on a Fisher amp (uses a voltage doubler). I've read over a number of posts on the subject, but the best I've found is advice to replace caps is they have "excessive" hum or "excessive" leakage. What's excessive? I have no hum at all on this amp, even on the phono input with my 97+db Fostex's. The cans get slighlty warm, but they are next to a warm transformer and hot output tubes. I can open the cap circuit and measure dc current flow, but again, I'm not sure what would be considered excessive. Thoughts?
On a related topic, I sometimes pick up an interesting unit on ebay for myself or a firend and then do some restoration on it. Almost always the seller will say, "Well, I plugged it in and all the tubes light up." I'm relatively sure this isn't done on a variac. So... of what value is reforming over several hours with a variac, if someone else has already applied full voltage for some undetermined amount of time? Once you hit the cans with full B+, is there any point to the slow variac method?
Thanks!
Steve

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Amplified Parts  

Topic - Reforming caps - SteveBrown 14:25:44 12/27/03 (17)

You can not post to an archived thread.