Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

I think so...

Reforming is not an antidote to old cap especially those leaky ones. I observed that for cap with ESR not too far away from spec, starting up with a variac would help to decrease this value to around 1 ohm. Electrolytic caps are generally designed for 1000 hours, guess what? and some even new ones of lower mF are of 3000 hours at 105 C. You would get more hours assuming every 10 degree lower will double the life(law of chemistry)

That is the problem/concern in playing vintage amp that bother me a bit. It seems that AES has got the solution in providing new production can capacitor albeit at higher cost.

Just for interest, if cap explode(it happened to one of my amp) and someone get hurt, who's liability; the seller's negligence or the buyer, I think Ebay seller should have disclaimer on this matter. Also, anyone got sued under similar circumstance? There is even some confirmation from some sellers that my amp would last for another 40 years.(may be even for another 40 hours)

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • I think so... - koo 06:39:28 12/27/03 (0)

You can not post to an archived thread.