Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

All of those you mentioned are coners/domers..

If you have the chance to listen to a pair of medium-to-large horns, do so. I think it'll be an eye-opening thing. The compression horn speaker is pretty much the lowest-distortion reproducers out there. Folks have written about it, and once I tasted it I became a believer as well.

The sound is open, airy, transparent, punchy, powerful, refined, smooth, detailed, full-bodied, all at once.

IMO, go straight to the mid-horn designs (sadly no longer made, except for the Heritage line.) The magic is 80% in that mid horn. My SF2's have mids coming from the woofers, and an alum. tweeter compression horn. The result was a hard treble, and a notchy, dirty midrange. Typical coner sound.

The fortes are mid-horn, tweet-horn, cone woof. Night and day difference.

Took me almost 20 years to get my pair. It was well worth the wait. They literally re-defined what hi-fi is for me. After so many years of trying, I can finally say the system I have is truly high-fidelity.

Oh I forgot to mention. The amp I use, and have used for a few years, is a stock rebuilt Stereo 70 with SDS Lab's cap board. ARC SP6A does the preamp work. Absolutely no hard / harshness with the fortes. But it was an ear-driller with the SF2, L100's, Infi SM110's. It wasn't the amp. It was the speakers. In my case, anyway. I was hearing the @#@#! cone midrange. And in 2 cases, metal tweets.. those things should be abolished! ( the SM110 has polycell foam tweets. Didn't matter. The midrange still sucked. )

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Atma-Sphere Music Systems, Inc.  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • All of those you mentioned are coners/domers.. - thoriated_tiger 10:08:47 12/26/03 (0)

You can not post to an archived thread.