Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

Re: Scott 222-D

I just took a break from Citations long enough to do a friend's 222D. I put a set of JJ EL84s in there after carefully checking them for gas and they sound real nice. The 410 volts on the plate are no problem, but to be safe a few minor adjustments were made to the screen resistor values. Also, a set of JAN Philips 6U8A went in - quite nice too! The 12AX7s and the 5AR4 were good, the 5AR4 was a GE, the 12AX7s were Telefunkens.

The unit he bought already had new coupling caps, but I replaced the bias rectifier and cap (I used a 100 uf/100 volt cap in place of the stock 75 volt). I replaced a couple bias circuit resistors as well. I'm a nut about having good bias supply. The main supply electrolytic cans were fine (one had been replaced already) and Joe didn't want to replace the others yet - although we will fairly soon as they are 30+ years old. Some contact and pot cleaning, a bias and DC balance setup, and it was ready to go.

I could only listen for a few hours, but it was a very nice sounding piece. And I TOTALLY agree - for the money you simply can't beat a good vintage piece!

One tip - if the voltage on the output tubes scares you being so high you can swap the 5AR4 for a 5V4GA. This will lower the B+ by about 15-20 volts. It probably won't fit under the case if you use the case though. You can even use a 5R4GYB for even lower B+, but the case definitely won't fit then.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Re: Scott 222-D - Jim McShane 07:42:06 12/26/03 (0)

You can not post to an archived thread.