Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

Re: VINTAGE STUPID - why not new

Thank you jerry,
For a most informative posting that was. Your central message is that not much has changed in audio signal-path circuits over the years from the first high fidelity achievement.
You will agree though, I believe, that the manufacturing tolerances have, in some cases, tightened. Capacitors are hyped the most. It is fair to say, I believe, that 2003 capacitors are more dependable and accurate than, say, those from the 1960’s. In particular, the big filter electrolytes, which through their failure (none are really expensive in themselves) often cause the wipeout of precious and irreplaceable transformers – and with them, another vintage amplifier is only a scrap source. With that said, I am amazed at the quality of those telephonic capacitors used on the Marantz model 9. I bought new ones from VAC to allow me the security of all-new electrolytic caps (before anyone sends hate-mail; yes, I did stuff the new, bias-caps inside the old cap- tubes,). But, on visual inspection, they were not leaking any electrolytic fluid (except the horizontal can – inside the chassis – that one I replaced), so I decided to attempt a reform. Two days of slow voltage increase resulted in a great surprise for me. This particular amplifier is as quiet as I could hope for……….no hum…..ho hiss………no errors. I have however; drifted from the subject, so let’s get back.
Another point, which I will be the first to concede, is that these vintage units, even the Marantz probably have too much complication. Actually I grew with it and so find such things as loudness control, low freq. elimination, tone-control, output selection (Stereo,mono,L, R, etc.) to be normal. It must be admitted though that 1. They are complicating/degrading the signal path, and 2. They are rarely used. The best modern units are able to claim “simple, pure signal flow” by eliminating a number of possible distortion problems. (They also, in the process, reduce costs and increase profits).
Bottom line, you guys have supported my gut feeling. For an old Redneck like me, the best bet is to maintain the components that I already know and love. Leave the ultra-pure audio quest to another generation. Through your young fingers will the sand sift, and the newest, latest gold/silver-wire siren-song draw its future support?
Still……….lets do be honest…. I am not yet dead. When the world re-opens its doors from this holiday turkey-eating session, I am looking into a certain BENT AUDIO MU step-up device. Canadian, so it seems. I do believe that would allow me to use the Benz Micro (tiny) output into the old tried-and-true Model 7 preamp MM phono stage. AND, will allow me to keep that VPI TNT turntable, now setting on the dining-table. Otherwise it was going up on eBay.
Best regards,
James

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.