Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

Add-on remote control

You can add remote control to any vintage preamp or integrated amp by buying a vintage AR SRC remote control unit. This is a two piece set, one is the remote, the other is a box that you connect to the Tape Out and Tape In on your existing preamp or integrated amp. Remote has Power On/Off, Volume, Balance, and Mute controls. It even has a Sleep Timer feature, and one AC plug on the back to plug in you amp so it'll be powered on/off as well. Can also be used as a stand-alone passive preamp, too, with 3 inputs.

These were a sleeper audiophile quality product. When introduced by AR in the 70s, the audio press pretty much ignored them. I think that they were uncomfortably close in sound quality to too many expensive preamps, and the magazines were probably afraid of upsetting their advertisers by telling the world about this inexpensive product. I think the retail on these was about $150.

In the 90s, Chase Technologies did it all over again with a similar unit. They goofed, though. Their unit was based on an IC that was designed for high end car audio units, and it had a non-defeatable loudness contour. Many users hated them because of the way they boosted the bass and treble. Sound City ended up with Chase Tech's remaining stock, and had trouble getting even $20 each for them. I bought three, discovered the aggravating loudness contour, and resold them.

I have had the AR unit for a year now, and I love it. Bought it on eBay for $40, I have seen them sell for as little as $25, and once in a while one sells for almost $100.

There are two of these in Completed Auctions on eBay at the moment. Just search for AR remote, both have pictures.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  K&K Audio / Lundahl Transformers   [ K&K Audio / Lundahl Transformers Forum ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Add-on remote control - goofytwoshoes 08:33:48 12/25/03 (0)

You can not post to an archived thread.