Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

Re: VINTAGE STUPID - why not new

When the Stealhead is as old as the 7 it too may command a premium but that is not the real issue. For $14,000, I'd rather keep the 7 and take my wife on a cruise around the world. Also, if I had that money I could burn on a toy, I'd get more pleasure donating some 30 computer systems to the local grade school or something similar. At 55, while loving my music, I find less and less thrill in searcing for the holy grail of sound and more fun in rescuing vintage equipment, getting it going and giving it to retirement holes, etc for others to enjoy than sitting in isolation. Also, how many tickets to live performances could be bought for $14,000 plus the interest accruing on it in the bank?

As for the car thing. I grew up in the auto parts industry and appreciate older cars. I owned amongst many others a MGB - today, give me a Miata, a Mini - today, I'd rather have a the new Mini, a 53 Vette - today no why - give me a 2004. These oldies are good for the collector/investor but for daily use for which thay were designed - the newer stuff is better, at least for me.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Herbie's Audio Lab  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.