Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

Re: VINTAGE STUPID - why not new

In one of my posting, I also mentioned about modern pre-amp and vintage power amp combo(the vintage transformers are spectacular) but the sellers owning the vintage pre-amp would never agree.

I did not own too expensive vintage pre-amp's; Eico HF 85 now torn into parts after rebuilding a power supply, a Quad 22 with restored MIT coupling cap and Elna cathode cap and sold to a happy buyer in Korea, another Mcintosh C20 quite crappy in appearance, with rebuilt power supply electrolytics and nearly all ceramics cap's replaced by Wima black box and sold to another happy German buyer. These buyers also felt that these amps were better than stocked ones.

The recent score was Fisher 80C that worked pretty well in the line stage but never got the tone/even loudness right for phono input from Technics 1210 II TT with Shure V mm cartridge. For line stage, it's pretty good especially warm/fleshy mid-range when coupled to Quad II or Dynaco III driving a pair of Tannoy Reds 12" but still not on par with my modern tube pre-amp Joule electra LA 150 wrt sound stage, clarity and dynamics. At least, the Fisher amp quenched my thirst in restoration hobby.

My Joule electra amp did not have a phono input, a separate phono amp from the same mfy would be required.

Not sure whether there are many modern tube pre-amp's with phono section and there is a review in this asylum on CAT Ultimate, a used one would be around $3500. For very low voltage mc, a head amp is still required.

I'm ambidextrous wrt modern and vintage equipment and for vinyl, I used solid state Ayre K1 with phono input. Even it claimed to work with low voltage mc cartridge, I did find the music was laid-back so I put on an Ortofon mc pre-pre amp and driving solid state Mark levinson amp with B&W speakers.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.