Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

Re: Thats definitely the original 1st gen...

Norm,

I've got a couple of pair of those and a little experience with them. I posted a series of "articles" called "Advent surprise" at least 6 episodes. You might want to do a search on this Forum for them. They were mid-summer this year.

But in a capsule, I found that soldering up all the slip-on connectors on the speakers (I cut the connector off the wires and soldered the wire to the speaker terminals) and soldering all the wire nut connections made a noticeable difference in clarity and speaker to speaker matching. Then I replaced the little knurled nuts on the back with internal tooth lock washers and wing nuts so I could crank them down tighter. Just regular hardware from Home Depot. Thread is #8-32. I personally do not recommend "upgrading" the capacitors. Tried it, didn't like it.

Set the speakers on or close to the floor, that's what they were designed for, and also close to the back wall.

If you replace the grill fabric, be sure and maintain the two layer construction that the original uses.

Nice speakers, and a classic. Henry Kloss' masterpiece.

Jerry

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Amplified Parts  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.