Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

Re: best all around receiver? (kinda long and rambling)

Tim, I have had alot of receivers over the years. My two tube receivers were a Fisher 400 and a Fisher 500c. The 400 was new in 1968 and the 500c in 1998 for $20. The 500 was the better of the 2,even 30 years later. Better FM and great sound. I cleaned it up, replaced one 12AX7,two brass caps on the knobs and cleaned up its cabinet. Sold it this spring for 269. Too much stuff. A third system for me---all in an apartment. Still,I miss it. If you like tube sounding stuff, early to mid seventies Pioneer like a SX-727 and the Quad QX-949 are solid state but I like their "tube-like" sound. Have had both, still own the QX-949. Good FM and nice sound through a pair of Dynaco A35's and a pair on mini Radio Shacks.

As far as solid state goes, my MAC 2100 receiver was OK,but not thrilling. Its very popular as you can see in stores and on Ebay. Ran it for 2-3 years from 1998 to 2001. It was just OK to me---but its loved by my son. Funny though, my Mac MA6100 intergrated amp is great. Its much better, at least to me. I like the chrome chassis, build quality and sound better. If you like the sound of solid staze, a late seventies Pioneers are really good. I ran an SX-850 for about six months. Lots of bass with good high end. It sounded great with my JBL-L100's. It was not pristene. Its cabinet was laquered. Originally they were oil finished. Sold it for 225. Got another for $175, this weekend with a good cabinet. Like other inmates have said, this unit is from the same period as the SX-1010 and SX-1250. All three are built like tanks with gobs of power. I will have to make a choice, keep the SX-850 or the QX-949 Quad. Both good, but the sound is different for each. The SX-850 is a great unit and I prefer it to my MAC. Much of the fun is choosing. Prices are good on the old Pioneers. I did have a SX-727 this year, in perfect condition and cheap! Got for $90 with freight on Ebay, it required very little work and it was nice. Good luck, prices on the Pioneers are low. the tubed Fishers are going up,up,and up! Good luck. Enjoy the music,Eric

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Re: best all around receiver? (kinda long and rambling) - ericthobe@aol.com 16:37:55 05/20/03 (0)

You can not post to an archived thread.