Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

Re: best all around receiver? (kinda long and rambling)

Ah! On the CD player, I can offer a recommendation: an old Rotel RCD-855. I have one, use it daily (with a vintage tube integrated amp), and simply love it. Got it off eBay for something like $102-103 including remote. A "classic" in its day, the 855 has a DAC that's outdated yet considered one of the "most musical" ever...to the extent that (I'm pretty sure this is correct - read about it on the Asylum) a couple of very small manufacturers now offer DIY tubed CD player kits that utilize the same well-thought-of DAC. A newer model that's basically the same thing is the RCD-955. These units are stout; by current standards, built like the proverbial tank. By way of comparison, I've had a couple of NAD 502s, hugely lauded in their day (coming after the RCD-855) that were lightweight, trouble-prone and definitely not as satisfying sonically. I'm running a Homegrown Diva silver interconnect between the RCD-855 and my amp, and it's been a terrific upgrade to the Radio Shack "Gold" IC I had previously, so I'd have to say the Rotels respond well to good cables.
They're also cleanly styled and relatively free of gimmicks, such as row upon row of tiny buttons...sort of like a good-performing older Volvo among more plasticky competitors.

Sold yet? I'm just very happy with this unit, that's all. Good luck!

Scott

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Amplified Parts  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Re: best all around receiver? (kinda long and rambling) - TheCommissioner 02:02:14 05/20/03 (0)

You can not post to an archived thread.