Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

Recapping receiver - slow progress and and couple questions.

Last November I asked for advice as to recapping a receiver, and appreciate the information given.

Life got in the way and progress slowed to a crawl - who says retired people can do whatever they want when they want? But now I have gathered the necessary equipment, watched YouTube videos, studied the service manual, disassembled the receiver, and made a list of capacitors to be replaced.

Despite reading everything I can find about capacitors there are a couple points that must be considered common knowledge as they are never mentioned, thus the following questions.

First: Many, if not most, of the capacitors in my receiver have a polarity symbol next to them on the board and in the wiring diagram. However, some do not. Is it assumed that those with no polarity indicated are non-polarized? There is nothing in the service manual to indicate that is the case, and I have not removed any so a close examination can be made.

Second: the wiring diagram uses two parallel bars as the symbol for capacitors. However, a few of them have slanted slash marks between the bars. The slash marks must mean something, it's doubtful they are there just for decoration, but nothing I've found indicates what they mean.

Thanks in advance enlightening a rank amateur.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Topic - Recapping receiver - slow progress and and couple questions. - DRam 21:02:42 01/31/17 (17)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.