Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

Logical Lowdown ! Troubleshoot ) Replace/Repair...

Hi Phil, You did exactly what should be done. When there is trouble, we fix the trouble. For heaters, seleniums are not recommended to stay in. With "high" current passing through, seleniums are not stable. The indicator of trouble was the low voltage. Any low voltage off any selenium means get rid of the selenium, if the electro and/or dropping resistor is not bad. Of course....

Twist-Lok originals are now usual suspects for trouble also. They have outlasted their expected life-span long ago. Yet, many still work fine. Cathode bypass caps look so innocent, sitting across resistors and often measuring fine. Yet, replacing them with some modern equivalents will really open our ears. I tried the Silmic II and Muse BP with fine results. Their temperature ratings need heeding though, when used inside the hot-runners.

Vintage gear is like vintage sports cars. If you leave the fifty year old, structural or moving parts in place, they probably will eventually fail. Old electronic parts, especially capacitors will, most likely eventually fail. Just like vintage cars, staying aware and vigilant, replacing parts before they strand you, keeps us on our journeys...

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Logical Lowdown ! Troubleshoot ) Replace/Repair... - Interstage Tranny 14:40:49 01/23/17 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.