Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

RE: Pilot SA260 amp Power Transformer toast?

The current production EH 5U4GB is pretty darned good and reasonably priced. If you want OS rectifiers, go with GE 5U4GBs, which are very nice and not silly expensive. Either way, Jim McShane is THE man to buy from.

Mikey has a penchant for using film caps. in the 1st filter position, when vacuum rectifiers are employed, and I agree with him. With that in mind, cement Mouser part # 75-MKP1848S65050JY5F to the underside of the chassis for that job. While the 5U4 pair could stand a larger capacitance, I don't want to overheat the precious OEM power trafo. We'll talk about the rest of the PSU, after I get a good look at some photos (top & bottom), which I request be posted.

There is extra filament current available in the power trafo that can be exploited to considerable advantage. Pilot's choice of a 12AU7 (shared between the 2 channels) for voltage amplifier duty, sucks a big wet one. :>(( The 'U7 triode is distressingly non-linear. Other than rewiring the heater connections, a 6CG7/6FQ7 drops in, without parts value changes. ;>)

Eli D.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Herbie's Audio Lab  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.