Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

Pilot SA260 amp Power Transformer toast?

I have a Pilot SA260 amp that i've stripped down to the chassis and was going to start to re-assemble.
Part of the teardown involved new wires to the power transformers since the one that were on it were very crumbled. I attached the wires as they had been, and now it seems something is amiss: When I connect the input wires to my variac and apply even a small amount of voltage, it blows the fuse on the variac (this has NEVER happened with this variac before)

The OPTs wires look better, but still not great, so I've left those alone. This amp was working (but not too well, rectifier tubes kept dying) when I shelved it. The teardown came a couple of years after that, if that matters

Can anybody suggest troubleshooting steps, or failing that can anybody recommend a service that can look at this thing? I think finding a replacement would be close to impossible...

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Atma-Sphere Music Systems, Inc.  

Topic - Pilot SA260 amp Power Transformer toast? - Kirk57 12:41:48 01/15/17 (21)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.