Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

RE: Fulton FMI-80

Hi doc,

When Fultons were current we had a dealer in San Diego, Mission Bay Audio. That was owned by a psychiatrist/music lover who ardently followed Stereophile. He called J Gordon Holt almost weekly asking about latest recommendations. For those too young to know, Holt included the J System as a Class A speaker at that time.

The store offered two different electronics setups with the Fultons. Either ARC tubes with the high end or Harman Kardon with the modestly priced speakers like the 80s. Word had it at that time that Bob Fulton worked with HK on their 430 receiver to insure it matched well with the FMI 80s. There were at least two HK receiver models above that, I think both also offering the "twin power" of mono amps within the receiver chassis like the 430.

I helped a couple of friends put together systems built around the 430/FMI 80.

So I'm sure many current amps in the 25-50 watt range could work well, but an updated (fresh caps, tuner alignment) HK 430 in that suggested system might surprise many people. Good luck.

"The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing, if you can fake that you've got it made." Groucho

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Fulton FMI-80 - M3 lover 16:05:59 01/12/17 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.