Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

RE: How many of you are still using tuners regularly

Not every day; but I'm fortunate in living close to a good music station that takes some pains with their signal. My car radio is set to that station. We also have a jazz station and a couple of NPR.

FM can be very good. When we first moved to this area in 1972, I caught some live programs from the Oberlin Conservatory. Really fine sound. Sadly, they don't seem to collaborate with local stations anymore. It was a real eye opener concerning my system. Compared to other FM or to LP's; the sound was so much better on those live FM broadcasts. Live feeds are available from the Cleveland Orchestra; but it doesn't compare.

Anyhow, it told me my equipment was good enough, the problem was source material and maybe my phono gear. Even the FM tuner in my old Pioneer SX990 was good enough. So, using the occasional live broadcast from Oberlin, I tweaked the rest of the system to sound as close to that as I could get. First, was hours spent padding the RIAA equalization network in the phono preamp to get it as close as I could to the RIAA standard. Next was a capacitance switch box for cartridge loading, low capacitance interconnects, and a succession of cartridges and TT's.

Later, I got into CD's, and went 100% CD's when I moved to the condo. But I feel the biggest quality issue we face is still the variability of the quality in our sources. What do you use as a reference?

Jerry

Jerry

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.