Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

Brass faced Fisher tube rectified integrated EL84 amps...

The earliest brass faced Fishers, "The 101" and X-101 and X-101ST, had lay-down trannies by Todd Transformer Co., the same tranny maker for the highly desirable Fairchild amps. Their EIA number begins with #926___. The 3 numbers after the 926 should indicate the mfg. date. If there are another group of numbers, they can be the in-house Fisher design/mfg. spec #s. These 926 opts are truly golden, wide bandwidth delights.

The X-100 versions I recall had "stand-up" type trannies, with probably a different tranny maker. Note the numbers and we can research them later.

The aluminum fascia units tend to have ss diode, voltage doubler power supplies, no more GZ-34s. They can still sound very nice. Power supply caps and diodes have come a long way. Resto and upgrades could be very worthwhile. Noting the tranny numbers can come in handy for historic knowledge...

Some of the very first 101 amps actually have two different opt trannies on the same chassis ! Not only the wire leadout differences, but the E-I tranny iron laminations and size can differ. When I collected these, many lunar eclipses ago, I had to buy a few units to actually pair up the opt iron. The phono preamp sections on the brass fascia units are very worthy of resto. Remembering these units run hot, I advise using taller than stock "feet" under the amp chassis for better ventilation, which will also allow a better grade of cables to fit underneath...

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Crux Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.