Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

RE: What would set the tone quality of a system

Charles,

Well, from my limited experience, I'd start with the frequency response of the system. Not the bench frequency response; but the whole rig: source, preamp, power amp, cables and interconnects, and the speakers. I've left out the room, since it will affect all systems the same if the speakers are the same and don't move as you swap out components.

Tube amps interact with the speakers through the "voltage divider effect" (to use Jon Atkinson's term) where the speaker impedance forms one leg of a frequency dependent voltage divider and the amplifier output stage and cables form the other leg. Since both legs are reactive, their properties change with frequency and that affects the frequency response of the system. Since different amps (tube or SS) have different properties, you get differences in the sound. Atkinson has been preaching that for years, and uses a simulated speaker for measuring amplifier frequency response in addition to the usual non-inductive load resistors. Some amps, like SETs, show very large variations in frequency response compared to a resistive load. Some SET's show variation of 4 dB from flat. That's more than just "clearly audible", that's dramatic.

Add to that the fact that older integrated amps have tone controls that are not flat when set to 12 o'clock. Over the years, I've measured quite a number that showed deviations of as much as 3 dB from flat. In one amp, the tone defeat setting showed more deviation than when the tone was in circuit. Now, I am NOT saying that flat response is what you want. What I am saying is that measuring the amp and preamp is a means of knowing what you have as a starting point. This is particularly important if the two channels measure differently. I'd also include volume pot tracking where the balance between the channels varies over the rotation of the pot. Not at all uncommon on older gear to find one channel louder at 9 o'clock and the other channel louder at 11. Not uncommon on newer gear, either.

Now, if you have a phono system, you have to worry about the accuracy of the RIAA equalization curve, and the differences between left and right channels. And then how the cartridges channels match, and the electrical interaction between the cartridge, interconnects, and phono preamp input. Stereophile once measured the RIAA tracking of a Fisher 500. The deviations from the theoretical curve were quite large. You might find you like the sound; but I believe it's helpful to know what you like.

Me, I have a total system response frequency response I prefer! But, it's not flat. I don't find flat response sounds natural or accurate. Years ago, Henry Kloss advertised that the Advent had an octave to octave balance that was part of the "magic" of his speakers. It wasn't flat!

Jerry

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Western Glow Tube Service  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: What would set the tone quality of a system - Bold Eagle 16:02:49 12/05/16 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.