Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

RE: Dynaco A-25 problem.

Hi Tadlo,
The way I test my A-25 tweeters without anything special is that I take a fresh 9 volt battery and put a wire from the positive terminal of the battery to the positive lead of the tweeter and vice versa with the negative terminal(s). If the tweeter is working you will hear a distinct clicking sound.
If the tweeter checks ok use the 9 volt battery on each position of the switch, the positive side with a wire attached to each 5 positions of the switch and see if you get the clicking noise. Keep the negative battery wire connected to the negative tweeter terminal and use that positive wire attached to the battery as a probe and touch each wire from all 5 resistors and the capacitor and I think you can find the culprit in your crossover. All the guys before me covered the cleaning.
I have an example of the A-25 crossover in my hand and I can easily follow the positive ends of the cap and resistors by following the wires from the red binding post on the back. My cap is non-polarized 8 uF 25 volts and if any of the previous guys think the 9 volt battery will do any harm they should speak up. I just wait to hear the clicking tweeter sound then back off. I have not damaged anything yet....good luck and go find that problem...Mark Korda PS...It's the same as a continuity test with a multimeter. If you do have a multimeter you could attach the wires of the battery to the cap for a minute or so then use your multimeter and measure the caps DC volts and watch your meter to see if the cap holds some voltage and slowly dissipates it. You know it's best to replace it but it might be a fun experiment anyway...Mark.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Atma-Sphere Music Systems, Inc.  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.