Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

AR-XA Turntable Dust Cover/ Home Depot

Hi,
I just finished another wacky vintage project. It is a dust cover for the classic AR-XA turntable.
The original dust cover was not designed that well. If after cueing up a record it was hard to place the cover back on without dinging up your nice walnut base. There was not much room for error. I figured if someone went all out to keep the dust off that a full play record should be fully enclosed to keep the dust away. Just look at a window inside on a bright sunny day and you will see dust flying everywhere.
I went to the Home Depot and loitered around with ideas when I saw a storage container for 5.99 with a lid. Not far away were door hinges, brass hardware, and small strips of red oak that were pre-finished. That would be the back and the little name tag on the front. The Depot and Lowes also sell precut squares of plywood of all different types about 2 1/2 feet square. I stained and put coats of Poly on, and drilled a 1 inch hole for the wires and plug. The cover is not totally crystal clear but you can see when it's time to pick up your tone arm.
The total cost for the stuff was about 30 bucks. The base can be used for other vintage tables, if they fit, that might be missing a cover. You can stick the turntables logo on the red oak front piece like I did the AR logo. The pinching action of the 2 red oak back pieces should prevent any running cracks as it distributes the weight of the cover more evenly.
I'd like to know what you guys think as I would like to put one on ebay as I have never sold anything but just bought. If you want a better parts list just email me or call me. I hope my pics come out. Thanks for lookin....Mark Korda (kordamark@gmail.com).

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Topic - AR-XA Turntable Dust Cover/ Home Depot - mark.korda@myfairpoint.net 15:48:40 12/01/16 (8)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.