Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

RE: General tube amp restoration question

Hi Airtime,
That last thing Russ said is so true about losing your lust for vintage when building your own amp. I saw on Ebay a simple basic looking box preamp that clones the Marantz 7 preamp circuits and is also trimmed down a bit of controls. The kit is from China but uses the best connectors,caps, resistors, ect. and it costs 125 bucks. In a blind test it might beat the Marantz.
I think you already know your own answer and it might be with transformers which I heard is your expertise Charles. Before the internet there was Audiomart for vintage nuts looking for equipment, remember Airtime? The guy who ran it, Walt Bender wrote this statement in a copy of Listener mag. in an article about the Dyna ST-70 by Peter Brueniger...let me go find it......Walt said that transformers take up to 3 to 6 months to come up to 80 % and but take over 40 years to come up to the remaining 20%. This explains the stratospheric prices paid for Western Electric gear. It's not for the collectability but for the sound. That was Sept/Oct. 2001, Listener mag.
I don't know whats true but I'm just writing the quote down.
Airtime, Prima Luna has a great new ad in Absolute Sound and it's more of a tutorial on their point to point wiring being superior to tube circuit boards ect...that might be an answer to your question also....hey......have you seen any scorpions or rattlers out there yet?....take care...Mark Korda

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Crux Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: General tube amp restoration question - mark.korda@myfairpoint.net 17:57:37 11/19/16 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.