Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

RE: At what point did audio designers feel our lives were too easy and your stereo should be a black box mystery

Being old enough to remember hi-fi and have now lived through, binaural, stereo, am-fm broadcasts, multiplex, reel to reel, solid state electronics, 8 track, cassettes, quadraphonic, ultra low mass tonearms, direct drive turntables, egualizers, DAT, CD's, etc, etc, I'm happy that I resisted most of it except for $7000 of SS "high end" electronics back around 1979 that only confirmed to me that tubes would be around for a long time.

In the end I joyfully remain in the vinyl realm with vintage tube equipment/speakers/turntable/cartridge and antenna TV.

A tube Zenith H725 is the kitchen radio, there's a seldom used Pioneer SX-780 in a closet hooked up to NHT in wall speakers and my big adventure into the new world is Pandora Radio through the computer when I'm puttering around the house and I want a long period of Brazilian Beat or Bossa Nova type music.

Life without a remote control for every piece of electronics is possible but the TV remote was indeed a good thing.

IMHO all this digital stuff with wireless capability is a "good enough" compromise for a lot of people and mass sales is the name of the game.
I'm waiting for a cyber attack on all those "automated smart homes."

Edits: 10/29/16

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.